Friday, August 6, 2010

I’m a leaky faucet

“You said she’s your heart” the minister says obviously touched, and I blink quickly as my gaze glosses over.

“She’s my niece” a close family friend says to one of my coworkers.

A guy sees a rainbow after a difficult break-up and is instantly calmed by this sign. One his mother, on her dying bed, proclaimed to be a symbol of her future presence.

I’m watching the show “What will you do?” and they set up a situation in which the store owner discriminates against a Muslim, refusing the young woman service. A man politely addresses the owner, bravely attempting to teach the man and show his disappointment. He goes on to give a touching story of patience and respect and again my eyes burn.

When you’re emotional, people don’t know how to react. “Snap out of it”, they might bark! A laugh and sarcastic reply is also common. I’ve tried to figure out why drops fall when I watch Lifetime tv or hairs stand up in the back of my neck when I see some sort of injustice.

I read today that Jada Pincket Smith said that your life should be lived like a work of art. Translation of this, for me, means that you have to live a life that represents you. A life that if you had kids you would be proud of (don’t ask me why but for some this marks a decision as to act, like they can’t be moved to ethical behavior without setting an example for a miniature version of themselves). In my life it includes caring for and being there for those who have been constant friends. It means appreciating those same friends, appreciating the simple things AND the big miracles of life. It means standing up for injustice and validating my biggest values by my actions. Most importantly it is being able to stare at myself in the mirror each morning and night. This to me, is a beautiful thing. And beauty, I’ve come to learn, brings emotion!

2 comments:

  1. i think you're very tuned in to yourself and your feelings, which is a great thing...i strive to be that way too, constantly trying to figure out the life im meant to live.

    and it sounds like the faucet eyes are mostly tears of joy. happiness induced cryfest. :)

    ReplyDelete